Monday, March 29, 2010

Quote of the Week - Sinead O'Connor

The last two paragraphs in a March 28 column in the Washington Post written by Sinead O'Connor about the (criminal) child molestation scandal currently facing the Church and the Pope.

"Almost 18 years ago, I tore up a picture of Pope John Paul II on an episode of "Saturday Night Live." Many people did not understand the protest -- the next week, the show's guest host, actor Joe Pesci, commented that, had he been there, "I would have gave her such a smack." I knew my action would cause trouble, but I wanted to force a conversation where there was a need for one; that is part of being an artist. All I regretted was that people assumed I didn't believe in God. That's not the case at all. I'm Catholic by birth and culture and would be the first at the church door if the Vatican offered sincere reconciliation.

As Ireland withstands Rome's offensive apology while an Irish bishop resigns, I ask Americans to understand why an Irish Catholic woman who survived child abuse would want to rip up the pope's picture. And whether Irish Catholics, because we daren't say "we deserve better," should be treated as though we deserve less."

Sinead O'Connor, a musician and mother of four, lives in Dublin.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

 
Add to Technorati Favorites